JAPANESE & REMEDIAL YOGA TEACHER MENTORING PROGRAM
“Mentoring is to support and encourage people to manage their own learning in order that they may maximise their potential, develop their skills, improve their performance and become the person they want to be.”
Eric Parsloe, The Oxford School of Coaching & Mentoring
College of Therapy Yoga & Zen Shiatsu’s 12 month Yoga Teacher Mentoring Program
A special and unique mentoring program where you can express your experiences with your peers, receive advice without judgement, along with support and direction for your yoga teaching and class content.read more
As yoga teachers, we must be multi-skilled, not only on the mat, but in all our dealings with clients and colleagues. We are not perfect, understanding that the more we learn, the less we seem to know.
Most common thoughts from our teachers and graduates:
- I just don’t know what to do with this client anymore.
- What do I do when a client won’t try, but comes back week after week?
- How do I grow my class numbers?
- How do I get my class to do certain postures? If they are not strong enough to do a headstand, then how do I get them stronger?
- What can a pregnant woman do in class?
- Senior clients, how do I deal with them?
- I am feeling uninspired.
- I have people at such different abilities in my class. I just feel I am not helping anyone properly.
- I need a refresher on anatomy, physiology but more importantly, I would like to know more about pathophysiology – what makes us sick.
We learn so much in our teacher training courses so it makes sense that we forget some of the finer details. This mentoring program has been based on the Australian Skills Quality Authority guidelines for continued professional development that will work to monitor and continually develop a broad range of skills such as:
Dialogue and communication, assisting and adjusting, creative class sequencing, sustaining a healthy body, building confidence, working one-on-one privately with clients, managing client injuries, teaching to large groups, business and marketing, yogic and oriental philosophies, and developing one’s uniqueness.
Questions that are often left unanswered
- How do I gain my first teaching position?
- Should I teach for free?
- How much should I charge?
- How can I promote myself without sounding egotistical?
- Do I need a website? Facebook?
- How do I better show my uniqueness?
- How do I improve my observations skills and how do I use them correctly?
- What do I do if a student leaves my class? Starts crying? Says they have hurt themselves doing a move? Complains?
- Can I run special events? Am I ready to run a retreat?
- What about registering with an association? Who is best for me?
- How do I know I have the right insurance?
How we will work together
Our mentoring sessions and support services will include honest feedback and direction to help you stay both accountable and creative.
Our package includes online, unlimited email support and face to face which are like coaching sessions, with actionable steps to take away each time. We encourage you to take notes as an ongoing resource. Face to face group 4 hours sessions occur 3 times a year.
The 12 month mentoring program costs $650.
Our programs are guided by the group with discussions and advice on:
- Understanding WHY you teach so that you can use this when teaching others.
- Consider your own health and wellness – maintaining this is crucial to being a successful teacher long term. We will talk about understanding your body and health now that you are teaching (or about to)
- Professional barriers. How to help others without nurturing or taking on their problems
- Guidance around class writing, adjusting, what’s fundamental and what’s not.
- Guidance around creating workshops, unique offerings, corporate group programs, retreats
- Case studies and advice for various class scenarios – in class injuries, class behaviour and communication, teacher/student relationships (on all levels), effective teaching techniques and communication, etc
- Business and mindful marketing i.e: website, social media, general promoting, resources, etc
- Creating and developing your unique teaching abilities.
- Guidance around teaching private lessons and how the 5 elements influence these situations.
- The business side of things – painful but all part of the service.
Still more questions? Call us on 9817 0078