This recipe will serve 2 people
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 celery heart (keep the outer stalks for stock or munch on them for snacks), cut into small pieces
- Inner leaves of 1 fennel bulb (great for stock too) cut into small pieces
- 1 cup hot vegetable stock (homemade is easy and always great)
- 3⁄4 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1⁄2 preserved lemon, finely chopped 2 slices rye toast, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the leek, celery, and fennel and sauté until soft, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the hot stock and lentils, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes. Add the preserved lemon, stir to combine, then remove the pot from the heat.
- Ideally, allow the soup to sit overnight, as it improves as the flavours infuse. To serve, reheat and accompany with a slice of sourdough or try making your own flatbread (see our next newsletter for great ways to make your own flatbread).